Date: Sunday, October 7, 2018
9:00am - 12:00pm
This class is open for beginners and those looking to learn about the beauty and technique of Arabic Calligraphy.
This workshop will cover:
- the basics of traditional Arabic Calligraphy letter forms
- an introduction to the basic tools and how to prepare and use them
- a brief historical background of Arabic calligraphy
- overview of the different and more common styles of Arabic Calligraphy
- a calligraphy kit will be supplied including a Qalam (reed pen) handcrafted by Salman Khattak from Toronto Pen Co.
- Students will get to take home their names written in Arabic calligraphy
All supplies will be provided. ABOUT SALMAN KHATTAKSalman has been practicing Calligraphy since he was a teenager. He started a serious study of Arabic and Western Calligraphy 15 years ago and has been teaching both online and in person workshops throughout Toronto for the past 5 years. He also co-hosts the monthly Toronto Calligraphy Meetup currently being held at Paper Plus Cloth every 3rd Wednesday of the month. As a member of the Calligraphic Arts Guild of Toronto, Salman practices and teaches a number of scripts including Uncial, Gothic styles (Batarde, Fraktur, Blacketter (Textura)), Italic and Foundational as well as Copperplate, Engrosser's script and Spencerian. You can see examples of his work at: https://expressions-art.com/calligraphy-gallery/